Do I have the right photo ID?
These are acceptable for voting purposes, and can be unexpired or expired after the date of the most recent general election (currently, the November 4, 2014 election):
- A Wisconsin DOT-issued driver license, even if driving privileges are revoked or suspended
- A Wisconsin DOT-issued identification card
- Military ID card issued by a U.S. uniformed service
- A U.S. passport
These photo IDs are also acceptable for voting purposes, but must be unexpired:
- A certificate of naturalization that was issued not earlier than two years before the date of an election at which it is presented
- A driving receipt issued by Wisconsin DOT (valid for 45 days)
- An identification card receipt issued by Wisconsin DOT (valid for 45 days)
- A photo identification card issued by a Wisconsin accredited university or college that contains date of issuance, signature of student, and an expiration date no later than two years after date of issuance. Also, the university or college ID must be accompanied by a separate document that proves enrollment.
- A citation or notice of intent to revoke or suspend a Wisconsin DOT-issued driver license that is dated within 60 days of the date of the election.
These photo IDs are also acceptable for voting purposes whether they are expired or unexpired:
- An identification card issued by a federally recognized Indian tribe in Wisconsin.
Important things to know:
- There is no such thing as a "Wisconsin Voter ID Card." The new Voter Photo ID Law uses existing photo IDs for people to prove their identity before voting.
- The address on your ID doesn’t have to be current. And the name on your ID doesn’t need to be an exact match for your name in the poll book. (So, Richards who go by Rich, Bobs who are also Roberts and Susans with IDs for Sue can all relax.)
- Of course, there are certain requirements. Your ID should look like you. Even if you’ve colored your hair, shaved your beard or lost some weight, as long as your photo ID reasonably resembles you, it should be accepted.